How My New Job Gave Me a New Outlook On Life

 

*before quitting*

              It has been about a month since my last blog post. In this time off from writing, I have been processing trauma I experienced at my last job and giving myself time to transition into my new job.

In my last post, I discussed my reasons for quitting my job as a Behavior Interventionist at a private school and why I accepted a paraprofessional position at a public middle school.

               I can now confirm, after a month into my new job, that quitting my previous job was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

              At my new job, I have a lot more flexibility and freedom in my work schedule. I work remotely on Wednesdays. The students I work with do not require my constant undivided attention. I can now take bathroom breaks without asking and am also provided with a legitimate thirty-minute lunch break. (I do not even mind that it is at 10:30. I did not have the luxury of a lunch break at my previous job.)

              I am praised and thanked almost every day for what I do. I am validated consistently in my efforts and feel wanted at my current place of employment. My supervisors make themselves available. I no longer question whether I am even good at my job.

              I no longer deal with bodily fluids of any kind. It also is no longer necessary for me to put my hands on any of my students. My students now are all capable of wearing masks and are all required to socially distance. There is never a shortage of cleaning supplies or PPE.

Because of all these factors, a lot of COVID-19 related stress has been lifted off my shoulders. Now that I am no longer an anxious wreck, I have noticed I have more energy. I have the energy to come up with creative learning ideas for my students. I have the energy to work out after work and run errands. I have the energy to really see outside of myself. I have exited survival mode and have started living again.

I started helping with coaching the middle school cross country team. I was immediately welcomed with open arms by the head coach and athletes. My coaching decisions and pieces of advice were listened to without question and everyone, athletes and coach included, sought out conversations with me. I realized that although I was new to the school, these student athletes looked up to me and were grateful I was there.

I felt fulfilled in a way I had forgotten was possible.

Ever since changing jobs, I feel that my life has purpose again.

I can see the impact I have on my students and athletes. I know I am making a difference and that I am doing it in the safest way possible given the circumstances (COVID-19 precautions).

I am not angry all the time. I do not lash out on my friends and family.

I feel fulfilled.

I feel happy.

I feel hopeful.

I laugh again.

I did not realize I had gone so long without laughing until I laughed with my middle school students my first week working.

These students are living through a pandemic and are doing their best to get through it. I see that day in and day out. And middle school is hard enough as it is! The pandemic has not made things any easier as last spring semester was a wash when it came to remote learning. On top of the normal craziness of middle school, everyone now must play catch up.

Because of this, I am amazed that laughter is still in the air and that middle schoolers are just as annoying, creative, and hilarious as I remember.

I am keeping this blog post short. I plan on ramping up my writing again but giving myself some time to do so. In the meantime, thank you for reading. And if you are miserable, feeling angry or hopeless, I highly recommend (if you financially can) to quit your job. I promise you will not be as missed as you think. A new outlook on life is a new job away.

Stay safe. Stay home.

With love,

Emily

*after quitting*


Comments

Popular Posts