The Magic of the Great Outdoors

 This summer is the first summer in years that I do not have a significant tan. Regrettably, I have spent a tremendous amount of time inside due to COVID-19.

              The camp counselor in me is weeping.

              However, I have to say, the times I have spent outside during COVID-19 have been far more meaningful than any time pre COVID-19. Now, when I am outside, it is usually to meet up with someone. (As it is the safest way to see people these days.) And because I have seen very few people this summer, or in the past five months in general, the time I do spend with another person feels that much more special.

*Camel's Hump, 2020*

              When my brother and dad came to visit me in June, we hiked Camel’s Hump and Mount Mansfield. It was not my first-time hiking either mountain, but there was something different, something magical about hiking them this time. It was the first time that my brother had completed a big hike in eight years. It was also perhaps the first time I genuinely enjoyed a hike in eight years. I had forgotten what it was like to hike with joy and appreciation and not frustration and fatigue. I had forgotten that there could be peace in not only sitting on the summit, but also in the journey up. Hiking did not have to be all painful; it could also be euphoric.

*Franconia Notch, 2012*

              Being a camper at Northwest Park Camp in Windsor, CT ignited my love for hiking. I quickly learned how difficult as well as rewarding it could be. As a sixth grader, I hiked around twenty-five miles of the Long Trail with my Northwest Park Camp crew. I carried twenty pounds of gear and food on my back and shared a two-person tent with two other people. I was the youngest and smallest person on the hike.

At first, I trailed in the back of the pack. Although the back-pack’s pace matched mine, I felt exhausted. People complained a lot back there. Their negative energy drained me- even though they were going my pace. So, I decided to remove myself from the negativity. Through pure will-power, I quickened my pace, heaving- and I mean heaving. I was not in good enough shape to be going as quickly as I was going. Nevertheless, I found myself trudging with the front of the pack, taking two steps for other campers’ one, breathing heavily. In the front pack, we sang songs, played games, and solved riddles. No one complained! People laughed! I felt energized despite having sore legs and tired lungs.

(Also, if I had not persisted to the front pack, I would have never heard the hit, ad-lib song, “Poisonous Gorilla Monkeys.” (When I became a camp counselor, I made sure to keep the Poisonous Gorilla Monkeys stories alive.))

              During that Long Trail hike, I trudged through mud up to my knees, slept through hailing thunderstorms, and pooped exclusively in the woods. It was mentally and, at times, physically painful. It was truly challenging.

 That hiking trip is one of my most fond memories of my childhood. I truly fell in love with nature and the camaraderie that came with it. It is the reason I ever became a counselor at Northwest Park Camp to begin with.

              When I did become a camp counselor, no matter what age group I worked with, I always hiked with the back of the pack. I saw a little of myself in the back-packers. I made sure to hype them up, tell them stories, riddles, and sing bad songs. Even though it took the back-packers twice as long as the front of the pack, I was determined that it would be as painless as possible. I did not want to accidently deter anyone from hiking in the future.

I did not want my campers to develop the relationship that I had with hiking- the negative and hyper-competitive attitude I learned to adopt in my teenage years.

              In my super-competitive teenage years, I had tunnel vision. There was no enjoying the journey. I was obsessed with getting to the destination and hitting my, at times, unrealistic goals. Sometimes, I was so blindly obsessed with reaching my goals, that I was unable to meet them. I could not see any hurdle coming my way, so I fell and fell hard whenever one appeared.

Because I was so obsessed with the result, I could not see, let alone, enjoy the journey.

              I have only recently relearned that there is joy in the journey. Sometimes, the endpoint or goal does not matter. Sometimes a new and better endpoint or goal shows itself along the way.

I just have to open my eyes.

              Now, I take deep breaths and try my best to absorb the scenery around me. When I am hiking, I enjoy plotting each step and each foot or handhold before me. My mind is not racing to get to the top. I know that the summit is not going anywhere.

When I do make it to top, I allow myself time to bask in my accomplishment. I am in no rush to get back. I soak in the humbling scenery and embrace my glaring insignificance.

*Sugarloaf, 2020*

*Mount Hunger, 2020*

              I also find that my conversations with friends and family have become more meaningful in nature. I can reach depths that I have not previously reached. There is a certain magic in the trees, in the earth. And whether I am hiking or biking with people, there is this tether between us and the ground beneath. We are climbing or riding together with a common goal, in enjoying the ride and reaching the top.

              Hiking and spending time in nature continually teaches me. I learn more about myself and the people around me. My fondest memories are from mountain tops, in the woods during cross country races, skiing down the slopes, and biking down long winding roads. Nature challenges me in more ways than I can anticipate.


              Stay safe out there. Go for a walk. Catch a sunset. Embrace your insignificance.

              With love,

              Emily

             

 

Comments

Popular Posts